Make sure you are ready for Universal Credit!

The benefits system is changing - and you'll need to change too to make sure you don't lose out. Now is the time to talk to us.

Universal Credit (UC) is the new single monthly payment that will affect everyone who claims any of the above benefits.

How do I claim Universal Credit?

You will need to:

  • Complete an online claim as soon as you know you are going onto UC – this will avoid extra delays in payment. You can do this at
  • Make sure you have a bank account that can receive your benefit electronically and make payments such as Direct Debits to pay your rent
  • Budget on a monthly basis rather than a weekly or fortnightly basis

When you are on Universal Credit you will need to complete and accept a tailored Commitment.

If you do not meet each of your agreed responsibilities in your Commitment you will have a cut in your benefit, known as a Sanction.

As a Mid-Wales Housing tenant, it is important that you understand that you will be directly responsible for paying your own rent in future.

Many tenants who have moved onto UC are already getting into difficulties, make sure you are not one of them!

Call 0300 111 3030 to set up a Direct Debit

If you are told that you will be moved onto Universal Credit, contact Mid-Wales Housing as soon as you know your payment date to set up a Direct Debit to pay your rent.

This should be done as a monthly payment as close to your Universal Credit payment date as possible.

What will happen after I move to Universal Credit?

  • All your benefits, including Housing Benefit, will be paid to you as a single payment once a month.
  • You will need to pay rent yourself, directly to Mid-Wales Housing. It will no longer be paid by Housing Benefit.
  • You will not receive your first payment until one calendar month plus seven days after the date of your claim. This payment will include an allowance for one month's rent.
  • Housing Benefit will stop at the effective date of the UC claim – this means, you will owe at least five weeks rent.

What if I can't pay my rent?

If you are struggling to pay your rent, you need to talk to us as soon as possible so we can help. We have a confidential team whose main role is to help people manage their budgets and sort out any debts. We can help set up an affordable arrangement so you can pay any rent arrears and keep you out of court.

This change from one benefit system to another will cause some tenants problems, but we can help!

Please contact the team on 0300 111 3030

What if I don't pay my rent?

If you don't pay your rent – and you don't seek help or support from us – we will take court action to take back your home.

As well as potentially losing your home, you will also be liable for court costs, which are currently £325.

We do all we can to help tenants who are struggling to pay their rent. If you're having problems, you need to get in touch as soon as possible.

Additional Resources

Universal Credit and you (guidance documentation)   -

Universal Credit Service Overview Video   -

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) YouTube Channel   -